Ogee Cornice In A National Trust Georgian Property
The grade II listed terrace on the south side of Sutton Place in Hackney was built between 1790 and 1806 by Charterhouse. It is believed to be named after It after Thomas Sutton who died 1611, the founder of the London Charterhouse who was reputedly England's richest commoner at the time!
The dark appearance of the terrace appears austere but this is intentional because the brickwork is 'soot washed" and is actually a condition of the listing that external decoration must be black. We were lucky to get the picture of the grey undercoated door (see above) because that will soon be toned down.
Number 16 is owned by the National Trust and is currently being renovated. The interior of the house is being sympathetically restored and modernised. During the last two hundred years many period features were lost. The cornice in particular was stripped out of the rooms in the south facing side of the house and these were replaced with LPC001 and MPC039 bought from Plaster Ceiling Roses.
MPC039 above the windows on the first floor
Two different Ogee cornice sizes were chosen reflecting the appropriateness of the style to the period and the different ceiling heights on the ground and first floor (where the clearance above the sash windows was another factor to consider). None of the walls or the ceilings were straight as you'd expect in such an old building, but the photos below show the fitters did a good job and the Project Manager was very pleased with the finished result.
The ogee theme used upstairs (MPC039)
and downstairs (LPC001)